Monday, January 14, 2008

An Application Suggestion for Genesis 27


As I concluded a week of Writing Conference, I was reflecting on the original intentions of this blog -- to think about how this narrative might be applied to us.

We have had some conversation regarding the issues of God's plan and whether or not we are really in control of anything, including our choices. I beleive that most have found that this discussion is far from "definite" and that Scripture talks about both a free will and divine sovereignty. Therefore, take heart, it is not "clear and apparent". But that ought not to be a cop-out or keep us from studying Scripture and dialoguing.

Now, I believe that the discussion of sovereignty and God's plan for each person, including Jacob, Esau, Rebekkah, and Isaac, is warranted from this passage. It is part of this story. But I believe that there is a bigger application.

Here is my attempt at an application of mine own.
"I will not resort to trickery, deceit or manipulation to help God accomplish His will."

"I will wait patiently, even in the face of overwhelming odds, for God to direct my paths and bring blessings on me."

His way, His timing, for His glory

Thanks for being active in this conversation.
Let me know what you think,
Pastor Mike

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I Mr. BBBB am teaching next week and in listening to the account of Joseph and his being sold and all that. I just got to thinking did Jacob "Israel" really need to go to Eygpt to save him and his family or did this demonstrate a lack of faith that God would take care of him in the land that God had promised him.
JUst something I am thinking about.

Pastor Mike Paris said...

See this as a new thread on the blog!
http://wybcteens.blogspot.com/2008/01/mr-bs-get-ready-thread.html

PM