Monday, March 24, 2008

Wisdom Quotient


Hey teens. I want to say thanks to Mrs. Mitzel for being sidelined for two weeks and allowing me to step up and deliver two spur of the moment lessons. I know that being sidelined is no fun, but it allowed me to have an unsheduled (by me) stop in the lives of the group.

In week one, we talked about service. You got to help me develop the seminar for ESFYS at Marilla. That was great. It really helped me polish some key areas and helped me communicate to teens in a VERY SHORT amount of time. I hope it helped them too. My ears have been very alert to a whole bunch of things about service recently-- including a funny exchange between Mr. Augrom and Mr. Post as we were setting up tables/chairs for the Easter breakfast:

Mr. Post: (after setting up the last chairs) Well, is that all there is to do?
Mr. Augrom: (with a smirk) Yes, you have completed your community service. You may go now.
Pastor Mike: (playing along) Mr. Augrom, do you need to sign something to verify that for the judge? :)

I was reminded of how often our service to God is a grudging, "have to do this" instead of a cheerful, "there must be more I can do".

In week two, we talked about measuring your wisdom quotient from Proverbs 9. I was wondering if your ears have been perked up and if you have remembered the 4 checkpoints/tests to determine your WQ. So here they are again so that you can interact with them:


  1. How do you respond to correction?

  2. Are you growing spiritually smarter? (insights, knowledge, application)

  3. Are you deepening your personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ?

  4. Is God blessing your life? (not in the health and wealth categories)

Sunday morning early service would have been a good test for #3. Did you come with a "who's bright idea was it to start Easter early" attitude or "Easter/Resurrection Day is my favorite high holy day" attitude? Did you spend any time reflecting throughout the day (beyond the walls of WyBC) on the cross, resurrection, grace, mercy, salvation, etc.?


The point of the WQ test is to see progress. Unlike IQ that is pretty set for most people, WQ is a measurement of a growing feature. It ought to be somewhat akin to measuring your height or even better, your age. It only makes sense that you are increasing in wisdom -- that is what Christians do.


Thanks for measuring and growing,


Pastor Mike

No comments: